Information from the National Museum of Industrial History Regarding the COVID-19/Coronavirus Outbreak
In the interest of the health and well-being of our visitors, volunteers, staff, and community, effective immediately the National Museum of Industrial History at 602 E 2nd St. and its administrative offices at 511 E 3rd St. in Bethlehem will be closed until Wednesday, April 1st at the earliest. All tours and events scheduled will be cancelled during this time period. The museum’s administration will continue to monitor information from the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Northampton County Health Department, and CDC and make adjustments to the time frame as necessary.
We understand that this is a frustrating inconvenience for our patrons and the museum does not take this decision lightly. In accordance with evolving guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Governor of Pennsylvania, and the PA Department of Health we felt it was in everyone’s best interest. We are working to find new ways to bring audiences our collections and stories during this closure and hope to do so through our social media channels on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
These are obviously very trying times for a non-profit institution. If you are interested in helping the museum weather this storm, there are several ways you can help contribute to helping us succeed going forward.
- Purchase a membership – memberships to NMIH offer a year of free admission, discounts on merchandise, and special offers on trips, programs, newsletters, and more. Memberships start at just $35 and will not be activated until the museum reopens ensuring you receive a full year of access to amazing history, programs, and artifacts.
- Use Amazon Smile – If you’re doing shopping on Amazon, then make sure to use Amazon Smile. It’s the same Amazon website you’re used to except a percentage of your purchases will be donated to NMIH with no extra fees! Login to Amazon Smile with your regular Amazon account info and select National Museum of Industrial History as your charity!
- Adopt an Artifact – NMIH’s rich collection of artifacts and archival materials requires constant upkeep, conservation, and preservation. By adopting an artifact you are helping to preserve an important piece of history that will serve to inspire and educate future generations.
- Make a Gift to the Annual Fund – A contribution to the annual fund will help offset the museum’s operating costs and support our ongoing exhibits and educational programs. A gift of any size of tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law and allows us to continue our mission of forging a connection between America’s industrial past and the innovations of today by educating the public and inspiring the visionaries of tomorrow.
- Book a future event – the museum is a venue unlike any other. Take advantage of our spacious lobby for a company cocktail party or a wedding, or utilize our 1200-square-foot, fully equipped education center for your next board meeting, all inside a historic, 107-year-old Bethlehem Steel building. Guests can peruse our 13,000 square foot galleries filled with important historical artifacts, including a significant collection on loan from Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. Museum officials are available to discuss rentals via email during our closure and will be able to finalize any contracts following the resumption of normal operations.
Most importantly, we ask that our visitors and patrons stay safe. Please see the below links for the latest information on how to handle the evolving concerns regarding the coronavirus and continue to check back for new information on the reopening of the museum.
President & CEO
National Museum of Industrial History